Questions for discussion:
- Have you ever invented anything? What? If not, what are you
- Do you ever wish that some things hadn't been invented, such as
the word "infotainment?" Discuss.
- If the wheel had never been created, how would people get to
the dentist? Would there be fewer teeth in the world today? How
would this affect the chewing gum industry?
- Compare and contrast the following:
- "Hubert Invents the Wheel" and "Moby-Dick" (hint:
"Moby-Dick" has more pages, but fewer laughs);
- Wheeling, West Virginia and Wheeling, Illinois;
- the word "compare" and the word "contrast."
- What is the largest wheel you can think of? How about
the smallest? Are you afraid of wheels? How about whales?
(See question 4.a.)
- What do you think is the significance of the name "Hubert?"
Is it significant because it begins with the word "hub," which
is part of a wheel? (We just realized this.)
- Claire has rearranged the letters in her first and last names
to spell "Geometrical Myron," "Metronomic Argyle" and "Glycerin
Roommate." Do you think she has too much time on her hands?
- What words can you make by rearranging the letters in your
name? (For help, go to